Goal setting is one of the most powerful techniques that anyone can use to achieve what they want in life. Sadly, most people get it wrong and fail to follow through to achieve their goals. Here are 57 useful tips you can leverage on to accomplish what you want in life.
1. You don’t have to wait for a new year to set a goal, do it now. Most people wait until a new year to set their goals. No, you don’t have to. You can set goals right now and start right away. Get a head start.
2. Write down everything you want to accomplish in life. Studies have shown that people who write down their goals have a higher chance of achieving them. And it cost you nothing, so just do it.
3. Make sure you cover every area where you want to improve. Set goals in every area in your life. Financially, spiritually, relationship, health, career, business, personal, etc.
4. You can also build a 100-goals bucket list. I like this because it basically forces you to think about what you want out of your life. Jack Canfield did this too. You can check out his goals list here. Of course, he has more than 100.
5. Prioritize your top 10 goals. You can have 100 or 200 goals, but in order to focus your energy, you must prioritize your top 10 goals. What are the top 10 goals that are most important to you and that you absolutely must achieve them?
6. Make sure they are specific and actionable. Don’t say that your goal is to be happy or to get rich, these are vague goals that are not actionable. Remember, vague goals produce vague results.
7. Make sure they are measurable too. Ask yourself, how can you know when you have achieved your goals? Is there something that you can measure? When you can measure, you can improve and achieve.
8. State your goals in the positive. Instead of saying your goal as you don’t want to be fat, state it in the positive such as you want to be thin or how much you want to weigh. Your subconscious mind will only see the subject. When I say don’t think about pink elephant, your mind will create picture of pink elephant. Got that?
9. Set a deadline for your top 10 goals. A goal is not a goal until you associate it with a deadline. Most people overestimated what they can do in a year and underestimated what they can accomplish in a decade. Set the right time frame for your goals.
10. Write down at least 3 emotional and powerful reasons why you want to achieve them. Do this for each of your goals. This is one of the most important steps that most people miss out. Your purpose to achieving your goals are the driving force behind that will pull you into taking action. Make your reasons as empowering as possible.
11. Create a vision board for your goals. Vision board is extremely powerful because it helps you visualize the things that you want in life. Make your goals more real and program your mind to achieve them. You can learn more about vision board from John Assaraf. Get his Vision Board Kit.
12. Create your plan and break down your goals into actionable steps that you can perform. When your goal is too big, you will feel overwhelming to take action upon it. So break down your goals into smaller actionable steps and so that you can work on them.
13. Schedule your action steps into your daily to-do list. Whatever that is out of your sight, will be out of your mind. So schedule and create a to-do list each day. I do this every morning too.
14. Make sure you do at least one thing to move forward toward your goals. All you have to do to make sure you produce the result you want is to take at least one action step each day. Of course, if you can do more, go for it.
15. Create a scoreboard to measure your progress. Never ever underestimated the power of a scoreboard. It can make you or break you. Read The 4 Disciplines of Execution and you will understand how powerful a scoreboard can be. I have also written an article about creating a scoreboard here.
16. Write down your top 10 goals every morning after you wake up. Yes, practice daily goal setting. It is the action that will separate you from the rest of the people who set their goals. You have to make your goals part of your life and install them into your subconscious mind. So write your goals every day.
17. Review and measure your progress every night before you sleep. Yes, see how far you have come and check out your progress each day. When you measure, you will know where you are. And when you know where you are, you will know if you are on the right track.
18. Set your goals as wallpaper on your phone and computer. This is a great way to visualize and remind yourself about what you want in life. It’s free, so do it.
19. Print out your scoreboard and update your progress daily so that you will know where you are. Your scoreboard is not something you create once and done. It is something that you must update constantly.
20. Visualize the achievement of your goals and feel good about them every day. If you want to be successful, you must first see it in yourself and act as if you are already successful. It must be in you in order for you to bring it out.
21. Create milestones for your goals. Weekly, monthly and quarterly milestones. If you only have yearly goals, it will be too far before you can taste the success. This is why you have to create milestones for your goals. You will know where you should be each week and month. Plus, you will know what you should do to get there.
22. Meditate and see yourself as already successful. You don’t have to meditate if you don’t want to. Just close your eyes and imagine you have accomplished all your goals. Feel the feeling and feel the flow of energy within you.
23. Eat, dream, talk, think, breathe and live your goals. Act as if you have already accomplished your goals. The saying, “Fake it until you make it” is true.
24. Create affirmations and declare to yourself as if you have achieved and are living your dreams. Feel the power and energy. Professional athletes and many successful people do this. Why not you?
25. Stay open for all possible strategies to reach your goals because everything is possible. You can change your strategies, but not your goals. When things don’t work out, improve or change your strategies.
26. Treat your goals seriously and commit to them. Do whatever it takes, even if you have to sacrifice your sleep. Once you have decided to go for it, that’s it, it’s none negotiable and you will do it no matter what. Leave yourself no other options but to achieve what you have set out to.
27. Identify 10 authority people that you want to learn from. Read their blogs, books and follow them on social media. Network and build relationship with other successful people. Let their energy and positivity inspire you. By the way, remember to LIKE us on Facebook.
28. Commit to reading books for 30 minutes a day. If your goal is to build a successful website, read books and articles on this topic every day. Read this to discover the importance of reading.
29. Keep yourself pumped up and stay motivated each day. Here are 17 ways how to get motivated right away.
30. Attend at least one seminar or workshop to learn directly from people who have made it. You can attend the free introductory course too. The only way to get to the top is to keep improving yourself. And the best way is to learn from the best.
31. Invest in yourself as much as possible. Read books, buy materials and courses that will improve your skills and talents.
32. Connect and network with other people who have the same dreams and goals. Jim Rohn once said, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with”, so spend time with like-minded people.
33. Build your own mastermind group. Or join one. Get along with other successful and positive people. Let their energy influence you. There are plenty of groups in Facebook you can join.
34. Get a mentor, a coach or someone better than you to guide you. Pay someone to be your mentor or coach if possible. This is the fastest way to achieve what you want.
35. “Delete” or spend less time with friends or people who are negative and not supportive. If you want to fly with the eagles, don’t swim with the ducks.
36. Make a public commitment. Share your goals with people who will encourage you. This will make you more committed because you are putting yourself on the line.
37. Get an accountability partner. Find someone who is willing to keep an eye on your progress and keep you going. This will put pressure and force you to take action and make sure you are going in the right direction.
38. Apply the Jerry Seinfeld technique. Mark a big red “X” on your calendar after you take action each day. Keep the “X” chain going. This is a very powerful technique to build a habit. Read more about this technique from James Clear here.
39. Make a bet with your partner. If you fail to reach your milestone, give your partner $100. Or simply donate the money to charity. Remember, this is to build the commitment in you. Use this method wisely.
40. Wake up an hour earlier each day to work on your most important goal. Stop giving excuses and start working seriously on the things you want. If you can’t even wake up an hour earlier, what do you expect yourself to accomplish in life? It’s hard to swallow, but it’s truth. You need some form of sacrifice to get the things you want.
41. Time-block the action task for your most important goal. This is a very effective method to get things done. So time-block the action steps that will produce the results you want and get you to your goals.
42. Build the action habit. Stick to your schedule and take action for at least 30 days to grow the action habits. Motivation is what get you started, habits are what get you going. So grow the success habits in you.
43. Make sure you are going in the right direction. Don’t get distracted and never lose sight of your goals.
44. When you face obstacles, find the solutions through books, ask around, or simply just Google them. Whatever you do, don’t give up and keep it going. When there is a will, there is a way.
45. Rest when you are tired, but don’t stop. This is going to be a long journey, so don’t get burnout. Rest and take nap when necessary, but don’t over do it. Maintain your energy at an optimum level.
46. Listen and watch inspirational clips to pump yourself up every day. You need to have motivation to go through the day. So get motivated each day.
47. Never use the word, “I can’t” on your goals. There is always a solution, find it. Watch your words and never let them stop you from moving forward. Words are powerful and they can change your and your life.
48. Feel happy each day because you know you are well on your way to achieving and living your goals. Your emotions will influence how you go through each day. When you are happy, you tend to do more and accomplish more.
49. Finish what you have started. Don’t stop until you have accomplished your goals. And don’t keep on starting new projects or new goals. Instead, finish what you have on hand right now. Adopt the finisher mentallity.
50. Delegate or delete unnecessary tasks and save your time for bigger and more important work. We only have 24 hours a day. So spend these limited hours doing the work that will yield you the most result.
51. When you successfully achieve your goals, congratulations, set higher and more interesting goals. Keep going and don’t let it stop. There more waiting for you in life.
52. When you fail to achieve your goals, improve your strategies, create a better plan and then try again. Keep on trying until you achieve your goals. When babies learn to walk, they try it until they succeed at it. They don’t give up when they fall. They learn and they walk.
53. Whenever you feel down, no motivation or are facing tough times, revisit your purpose. Your purpose will drive you forward. This is why your purpose must be strong and emotional.
54. Seriously cut down time spent on social media and movies or dramas. Being successful is living a few years of your life like most people won’t so you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t.
55. Be relentless. Keep improving and take action until you succeed. A quitter will never win and a winner will never quit.
56. Leave your comment below and let me know what you think. Let’s put yourself into action right now. Take a minute to leave your comment below and share your opinion with me.
57. Share this to inspire and help others too. Empowering others is one of the most inspirational ways to boost your energy and get you going.